Thursday, May 6, 2010

When you feel like giving up on someone, there is a second chance.


I have this jasmine shrub in my garden for over three years now, and it barely flowered. Despite regular care, manuring, putting it in a larger container, changing spots - it didn't seem to do well. It was blighted, the leaves would wilt and fall with no sign of recovery for good three years. We didn't know what we were dealing with. Disappointed, we decided to get rid of it last autumn to put the container to better use. We soaked the shrub to wrench it out of the pot but it didn't budge, troweled to scrape off the roots sticking to the sides and tried yanking it out again. Having failed, we brutally chopped off the shrub (about 3 inches is all that remained) and planted some cuttings into the same pot. Seven months since then, it shriveled and we were reasonably sure that it was finished until one morning in early April. The stem sprouted sending off shoots in all directions. I was amazed. In the middle of scorching summers (111 F), it grew sparkling waxy green large leaves, long branches and restored itself into a healthy bright shrub when the other plants begun to wilt in the heat. In blistering May, it started flowering profusely like never before. It's incredible.

Moral of the story: Don't give up on those who let you down. Don't stop hoping for a change.

"Don't give up when you still have something to give.
Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying." -Nancye Sims

18 comments:

  1. Yes that's right! That's the way to go :-D Often when my plants are dying, I give them extra care and they bounce back beautifully. Well, some do died on me later. But in everything... do not give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story!!! So inspirational too! I NEVER want to give up on anyone EVER...as long as someone, or thing, is alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good words to live by! I do that same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and thought provoking post. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes some plants have their strange ways with us. I am in fact surprised that your Jasmine took so long to bloom. One reason could be because of unavailability of enough Phosphorous, drainage and the thick soil. Jasmine if only given Nitrogen rich fertilizer would just grow more leaves without blooms, just like Hibiscus. You might want to try dried cowdung or cowdung highly diluted in water. It works magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same experience with my citrus plant. It sprung back when I wanted to perform euthanasia on it. Plants do behave in the strangest ways, they react positively when their lives are threatened. I have been experiencing the same problem as you with the same Arabican jasmine, I'm going to try your method soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a similar experience with my poppy plant. It didn't do very well at all. I thought it was a goner. This year it is looking lush and green. Can't wait for the blooms.

    I agree too that relationships also can thrive if we don't lose hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you think they do that on purpose. You know, just to make us appreciate them even more?
    That jasmine plant had better thank its lucky stars that you didnt throw it out. I'm glad you got to enjoy those beautiful fragrant blooms finally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Takes a lot of faith to have a garden, doesn't it? Often when I give up on a plant, it rebounds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice blog, thank you for the beautiful pictures and thoughts! Greetings from the Czech Republic

    ReplyDelete
  11. Living in a hell of concrete/asphalt, I do agree with your suggestion, however,
    It can only applies to PLANTS. I stay away from people dedicating most of my time to write, propagate and investigate.
    Excellent post...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Came via GG.
    I liked that very much. The jasmine flower is beautiful. I have some, but want to propogate more after reading your blog. I love the smell they fill the room with.
    Pattu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey where are you. I miss you. I hope you will return soon. Big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello
    Great that you revived the plant. I love jasmine... we had lots when I was growing up - my mom's and grandma's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been a while since you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How are you doing UG? I haven't "seen" you for a long time. I'm hoping you are all right and that you will be interested in blogging again soon :-) Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi UG, thought I'd drop by to say hi. Hope you are well, Ev

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice story! I liked that very much. The jasmine flower is beautiful..
    Thanks for sharing..Flowering Pear

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.